alumni UBC’s afterwords is a digital conversation series that shares the stories of some of UBC Okanagan’s extraordinary alumni.
Meet Kimberley Best
1. What is your current profession?
Secondary school teacher.
2. What education did you receive at UBC?
I obtained my BA and my BEd.
3. What do you think makes UBC Okanagan great?
It is a smaller campus with a more hometown feel. Plus, it allows for more 1 on 1 time with the Professors due to smaller class sizes.
4. If you could start University again, would you do anything differently?
No, I wouldn't do anything differently.
5. What was your first official job after graduation?
I went straight into teaching, as I graduated in June and started working the following September.
6. What is the best part of your current job?
The best part is knowing I am making a difference in someone’s life.
7. What are some of the challenges you have faced in your career?
Some challenges have been relocating away from family and friends and more recently Covid-19.
8. What would you like to share with current students who will be graduating in the coming years who have concerns with the current work climate?
Just be the best possible you!
9. What's the best advice you can give to help plan a career?
Keep a note pad with you and jot down your plans, goals and inspirations. Keep looking for prospective employers and visit their website or physical address and introduce yourself.
10. Do you have a mentor? How have they influenced you?
Leyton S. was my mentor and he helped me see that learning can be fun for not only the student but for the teacher as well!
11. What is something you continually find yourself saying?
Be the best version of yourself!
12. How do you balance your work and home life?
With a lot of patience.
13. Where do you volunteer or how do you give back to your community?
I volunteer with our local minor hockey association to help keep the program going at a cost-effective rate.
14. Do you have any books that you would suggest are a must read?
15. Who is one UBC Okanagan alum you would like to nominate for afterwords?